Pages

Monday 31 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey : Day 3

DAY 3: Awesome Animals


Activity 1: Fantastic Beasts [4 points]

In New Zealand we have many unusual animals. One of the most unusual is the kiwi bird - a bird that does not have wings and can not fly. Pretty strange, eh?! J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, has recently written a new book about strange or unusual animals called ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.’
For this activity, please watch this cool book trailer. Year 7 and Year 8 students in South Auckland, New Zealand helped to make it. Once you have watched the video, use your imagination and create your very own beast. What does your beast look, smell, feel, and sound like?
My animals name Avatar I choose ths name because on my animals head there is an arow and I watched this movie called Avatar and that boy had and arrow on its head.My Animals fur colour is orange and yellow just like a beautiful sunset its eyes is as white as santa claus beard.



Activity 3: The WWF: World Wildlife Fund [10 points]
In 1961, a number of people came together to start an organisation called the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). The main goal of this organisation was/is to protect life on earth. Hundreds of WWF staff work in countries all over the world trying to protect our planet and the animals who live here. To learn more about their amazing work, click on one of the two video links below.

Clip #2: Tigers

(1) the animal they are trying to save is called the saiima ringed seal.

(2) The WWF people were building snow banks to save the animals.

(3)For me personaly if they did anything that helped the animals it very amazing because if I were an animal and people were helping and the my family to live then I would be truly gratful and thankful.


1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Akesa,

    My name is Mikey. I'm a member of the Summer Learning Journey team, along with Sophie, Lee, Patricia and Izzy. It's wonderful to see that you've been actively engaging with the programme over the holidays, and completed so many activities. Well done! :)

    I really enjoyed reading the description of your fantastic beast. The similes you've written to describe it's fur and eyes are wonderful! Does it have any special powers like the Avatar does?

    Well done on taking the time to watch the WWF video about the Saimaa ringed seals. Isn't it great that there's an organisation out there that is doing all of this work to help our endangered species? Did the video mention how long it takes to build a snow bank? I imagine it'd be very hard work. Incredibly rewarding though.

    I hope you're enjoying the last couple of weeks of your summer holiday Akesa. I look forward to reading more posts from you soon. Until then, happy blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete