Pages

Friday 4 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey : week 2 day 1





DAY 1: Swimming with the Fish


Activity 1: Surfs Up! [4 points]
In New Zealand we have many beautiful beaches and stunning waterfalls. One of the most spectacular waterfalls is called Kitekite and it is located in Piha, a small village west of Auckland. Tourists and locals flock to Piha during the summer season to enjoy the waterfall, the local beach, and the great surf. Have you ever tried surfing? Although I have never surfed many of my friends have and they absolutely love it. In fact, it is their favourite summer activity! What is yours?
For this activity, please take a picture of yourself doing one of your favourite summer activities. It could be anything! Here is a picture of one of our team members (Laura) doing one of her favourite summer activities.

Recently I have been obsessed with reading Harry Potter books because the book gives me more information then the movie it's self I love this book so much that I even stayed up just to read it instead of watching movies all night so this is an obsession that's been happening since the holidays began.


Activity 2: The Great Taupo Cycle Challenge [4 points]

Every year approximately 7500 people arrive in Taupo, New Zealand to compete in a one-day cycling race around Lake Taupo. The race route is 160 km in length. Participants can choose to compete in the full race or the half-race (80 km). Let’s imagine that you were given a free ticket to compete in the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge next year and you were able to bring three people with you as your ‘support crew.’ Who would you bring with you?
If it was me, I would choose my son, Aronui, as one of my supporters because he’s really funny and energetic. I think that he would make sure that I had a great time and that I spent the entire day laughing and smiling. I would also choose my sister, Leigh, because she is very strong and fast. Thirdly, I would choose my co-leader, Hazel, because she is very organised and would make sure that we followed the trail and didn’t get lost!
Ticket people :
My older brother ( Siliva)
I chose him because he was always kind to me and my sibiling and he will always help us with anything but even though I don't see him a lot because he was work all around New Zealand he still makes time to see us and thats why I am happy to have a brother like him.
My God Mother 
because she always gives me money if I need it for something thats only if its IMPORTANT and she's just the best and she's always there to help me from my ups and downs and she even treats me as her own daughter.

Best Friend ( Victoria)
I would love to take her because she always hypes me up when I am down and she always makes me laugh in class and she always has my back and whats about amazing about her is that she always smile.


Activity 3: Something Smells Fishy…[10 points]
One of the longest and largest rivers in the world is called the Amazon River. It is located in South America and is approximately 6400 kilometres (kms) long. That is four times longer than the entire country of New Zealand. Wow!
Scientists believe that there are over 3000 different kinds of fish that live in the Amazon River. Now, that is a lot of fish! To learn more about fish, we went online and found some really cool facts about fish.
For this activity, we are going to provide you with five sentences about fish. Some of them are true and some are them are not. It is your job to read these ‘facts’, and decide whether they are true or false.

On your blog, write out each fact and in CAPITAL LETTERS beside the fact, write the word ‘TRUE’ if it is a true fact or ‘FALSE’ if it is not true.
True or False?

Fish Fact #1: The oldest known fish in the world is a 65 year old Australian lungfish.TRUE
Fish Fact #2: Sharks are the only fish that have eyelids.TRUE
Fish Fact #3: Starfish are a type of fish.TRUE
Fish Fact #4: Fish communicate with each other by making low-pitched sounds (moans, hisses, etc)TRUE
Fish Fact #5: Fish usually swim together in groups called ‘classes.’TRUE





1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Akesa,

    What a great section of activities to read here! Happy new year from me.

    I love your selection of people to be in your team. Your god mother sounds really sweet. My son has a god father, I should show him your post to show him how the job should be done!!

    I also like reading in the summer. Even though it's a quiet and sometimes indoor activity, I find it a lot of fun. I agree that books always give more information than the movie. Which is your favourite Harry Potter book? I've been reading rock n roll music biographies but sometimes a bit of fiction.

    Have a great week, hope to see more of your blogging!
    - Lee

    ReplyDelete