Pages

Sunday 6 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey : Week 2 day 2 & 3

DAY 2: Fabulous Flora

Activity 1: Weaving a Tall Tale…[4 points]
There is a long history in New Zealand of collecting natural plants, including flax (harakeke), and using them to create cloaks, baskets (kete), mats, traps and ropes. Flax weaving is an art form. It can take years for people to perfect the art of weaving. Have you ever tried it?
For this activity, you are asked to watch a short video of someone weaving a fish (ika) out of flax.
On your blog, tell us whether or not you would like to try flax weaving. Does it interest you? Why or why not?

For me personally when I was young in Tonga I did a lot of flax weaving but when I came to New Zealand I just stopped doing it.But when my school had a trip this trip also included weaving and it was very hard listening to the instructions and my hands were getting tired of weaving.

Activity 2: Mighty Mangroves [4 points]
Here in New Zealand we have a native tree called a Kiwi Mangrove. Kiwi Mangroves grow in shallow water (harbours). The largest mangrove or manawa forests in New Zealand are located in Northland and in Auckland. According to many environmental experts, they are one of the toughest and strongest trees in the world because they can survive in really harsh (difficult) conditions.
For this activity you are asked to think of someone who is very tough and strong. They can be someone who you know personally or they can be a character that you have read about in a book, seen in a movie, or on a television show.

Strong Person : Mum ( Ofa )
I chose my mum because she is very confidant and STRONG and she was the first teacher who taught me how to love,care and share.I also chose her because she was the first person to pop in my head and which describe all these words Strong and tough.



DAY 3: First You ‘Sea’ Me, Now You Don’t…


Activity 1: Night Owls [4 points]
Here in New Zealand we have many amazing and unique sea creatures, including penguins. The blue penguin, or kororā, is particularly special because it is the smallest penguin in the entire world! Blue penguins are typically found on the east coast of the South Island in places like Oamaru but they can be hard to spot as they rarely leave the water. If they do come onto land it is usually at night, when most of us are sound asleep! That’s because they are nocturnal. Not all of us, however, sleep all night. In fact, some people love to stay awake late into the evening. People who like to stay up late are called ‘night owls.’ Are you a night owl or are you an early riser, like me? I typically wake up every day around 6:00 a.m. and jump out of bed, ready to start the day!
On your blog, tell us whether you are a night owl or an early riser. Then, tell us about the rest of your family. Are they the same as you? .

For me I am a night owl but when its is something special happening the next day then I sleep at 9:30 and its the same for my 2 young sister's.My brother who is older than me likes to stay up all night just to PLAY FORTNITE and my other 2 other brothers are a early and night person because they both wake up a 3 in the morning to get ready for work but they always come back and stay up all night talking with family's who come over and have a little drink and for my mum she is a EARLY person because she has to run errands.

Activity 2: A Local Delicacy [4 points]
Whitebait is a very special fish in New Zealand. It is rumoured (believed) to be a very delicious fish. Some restaurants in New Zealand make dishes that feature whitebait, including whitebait fritters. Have you ever tried whitebait fritters? They are a favourite dish of many of my friends. I, personally, prefer foods from places like Mexico and Italy. Pizza and nachos are two of my all-time favourite foods! In fact, I often make homemade pizza with Aronui on Friday nights using the same ingredients (pizza base, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, chicken, red onion, basil and feta cheese) each time.
For this activity, please choose a favourite food and find a recipe for it.
Favourite food : Panikeke
Combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder in a bowl until thoroughly mixed, and stir in the bananas, vanilla extract, and water to make a smooth, sticky dough.Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). The oil should be deep enough to completely cover the panikekes while frying, or at last 3 inches deep.Scoop up a scant 1/4 cup of batter with a large spoon, and use another spoon to push it off into the oil. Fry in small batches of 4 or 5 until they float to the top and turn golden brown, about 3 minutes, then flip them to fry the other side. Remove from the fryer and let drain on paper towels.

I will recommend to eat this panikeke with nuttlla for me personally its very DELICIOUS 








3 comments:

  1. Hi Akesa!

    Nice work! TWO DAYS of activities in ONE post?! How convenient! You'll be surely grabbing those points!

    I'm going to focus on the "A Local Delicacy" section of the post. Panikeke (or pancake, as my family calls it) is a real treat! I love them when they're fresh and hot! Saying this, it's nice to read up a recipe, complete with ingredients and method, too, on how to make it.

    Good work! Keep it up!
    -Willy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Akesa,

    You are doing a great job of the Summer Learning Journey this summer!

    Day 2 A1: Weaving can be a very difficult skill to master so I can imagine why you found it hard. Weaving is such a beautiful craft. One day I would like to weave a bag out of flax.

    Day 2 A2: You mum sounds like a wonderful person! You are so lucky to have such a great role model to teach you all of those valuable life skills.

    Day 3 A1: Thanks for telling us about whether your family are early risers or night owls. Personally, I too am a night owl but I try my best to be an early riser. I believe that being an early riser is the best way to make the most of every day.

    Day 3 A2: Yum - you are making me hungry! That recipe for pancakes sounds just devine. Do you get to eat pancakes very often? We only get them on special occasions.

    Keep up the awesome blogging!

    Talk soon,

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Akesa,
    I really like that you have told us that you have done flax weaving in Tonga and why did you stop when you came to New Zealand?.

    What was the 1 thing that you didn't like about flax weaving? and what is 1 thing that you love or like about flax weaving?.

    Anyways just keep up the amazing work:)
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete