Pages

Saturday 30 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey

Day 5: Coming to an End



Activity 1: VE Day!
After six long years of fighting, World War II finally came to an end in 1945. The entire country was ecstatic and parties were thrown all over New Zealand to celebrate VE Day (Victory in Europe). Imagine that you were living in New Zealand in 1945 and you had to plan a VE day party at your house. Who would you invite? What would you do to celebrate?

On your blog, tell us all about your (imaginary) VE party. If it was me, I would invite all of my closest friends and family over to my house for a big barbecue. We would eat hamburgers and play basketball in the driveway. Some of us would probably walk to the local beach to play soccer on the beach and to go for a swim (if the weather was warm enough)!

I would invite:
My friends, family and neighbors.

I would make many different foods like:
Potato Salad, Lasagna, Make an island drink (otai) Trifle,
Sandwiches and also desert. Steak, paddies
Chicken Nibbles and more

We would play in a swimming pool and have a water
fight or just play board games


Activity 2: Making a Fashion Statement
In the years following World War II, things slowly returned to normal in New Zealand. Soldiers returned home and settled back into regular life; and national sporting teams, like the New Zealand cricket team, got back together and started playing matches again. In the late 1940s, men and women would go to watch these events, men wearing hats and suits and women wearing dresses, hats, and gloves.

Compare the pictures of common clothing from the late 1940s to what you wear now (i.e. in 2017). Are they similar or are they quite different?

On your blog tell us which of the two styles you prefer and why. The pictures above were taken over 65 years ago! What do you think people will be wearing 65 years from now?


I would go with 2017 because wearing a dress and hats and gloves it not my thing and what if it gets hot but 2017 is most nice and cool cloths.



Bonus Activity: Sweet Tooth

When World War II ended, a number of people from Europe moved to New Zealand looking for a peaceful place to live and raise a family. When they came, they brought recipes and foods from their native countries with them, including hamburgers, pizza and other delicious foods.

I usually have a chocolate chip cookie with my tea. I love biscuits! What is your favourite sweet treat or dessert? Use google to find a recipe for it. Type the recipe out on your blog. Make sure you also include a picture.

BONUS POINTS: 10

My Favourite dessert


I like this dessert because not that much chocolate.
It's is called an ice Cream sandwich and basically it is just any kind of ice cream you want a cram cracker and your favourite chocolate on top

3 comments:

  1. Hey Akesa, thank you for sharing how you would celebrate the completion of world war two in Europe. It sounds like you would put on an awesome feed for everyone. Would you expect people to bring stuff to eat as well?

    What sort of board games might you play?

    Yum, what would you put in your trifle?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, your favourite dessert looks delicious Akesa. I like how it has the caramel on top drizzling off. Does this dessert have a name? I would love to make it sometime. It looks nice to eat because there are lots of different textures to it. When was the last time you had this dessert? Have you made it yourself before?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Akesa,

    My name is Jordan and I'm the Kootuitui (Papakura, South Auckland) cluster manager. Alongside Billy, I have the absolute pleasure of commenting on your blog!

    Well done for moving through so much of the content already, I can see you've been keeping the Manaiakalani team very busy.
    I'm commenting on your Activity 2: Making a Fashion Statement. Fair enough that you prefer wearing clothes from today as apposed to clothes from the 1940s; I can only imagine that the Earth has heated up a little bit more from what it was like 78 years ago. I too would pick modern clothes, however I enjoy dressing up sometimes so I'm open to either.

    So that I can reward you with full points, what do you think people will be wearing 65 years from now? Maybe we'll all have a super watch that will dress us by the press of a button!

    I'm looking forward to hearing your response to this,

    Keep up the great mahi,

    Cheers,

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete