Pages

Sunday 31 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey

Day 3: Groovy Man (The 1970’s)

Activity 1: Ready to Roll
In the 1970s one of the most common television programmes was called ‘Ready to Roll.’ It was broadcast on Saturday afternoons and hosted by a man named Roger Gascoigne. During the show, Roger would introduce music videos and then play them for the TV audience. He also invited famous people to come onto the show and perform songs that were currently popular.  

Watch the following three clips that were shown on the Ready to Roll programme:


When you have finished, rank the clips in order from your most favourite (#1) to your least favourite (#3). Post your rankings on your blog.

  #1 - Golden Harvest

     #2 - New Zealand Underdogs.

     #3 - Ray Columbus and the Invaders

I ranked it like this because the Golden harvest has a alright tune to it. It would be better if it was a instrumental. The Second one is alright because it's catchy to me but not that much. The last one I just hate it because it has no rhythm to it's beat or tune.

Activity 2: Bell Bottom Pants
Fashion in the 1970s was quite unique. Take a look at the pictures of a ‘typical’ 1970s outfit and tell us, on your blog, two things that you like about 1970s fashion and two things that you don’t like about the fashion of the day. I am not a huge fan of the patterned pants. What about you?



2 things that I like from the 1970's clothes.
1.I like the shirts that the guys are wearing they look alright.

2.I think that their hair styles are alright their not bad or good their algood.



2 Reason why I don't like the clothes from then.

1.Their pants that the guy are wearing don't look very good to wear.

2.The girls should wear something else because their clothes kind of look bad to wear so yeah.

Bonus Activity: A Bilingual Schooling System
For much of the past century, schools in New Zealand taught students in only one language – English. In 1972, Ngā Tamatoa member, Mrs. Hana Jackson, submitted a petition to Parliament to ask the government to include the teaching of Te Reo Māori (the Māori language) and Māori culture in New Zealand schools. We still use petitions to this day when we want an organisation (e.g. a school) to make a change.

Think about your school. What is one thing that you would like change. Would you like to learn about different things? Maybe you think school should only be open 3 days a week?

On your blog, write a letter to your principal to try and convince him/her to make the change. Ensure that your letter is polite and respectful.

BONUS POINTS: 18

Dear Mr Coakley,
Can you change the school rule of having hats because it costs allot of money and some children don't have the money and when I look at them under the shade it just sad  because break time is when you have fun with friends and go crazy hard as. 

If yo Do I really appreciate that.


Day 4: Perms and Lycra (The 1980’s)

Activity 1: Hairy Maclary
One of the most famous children’s stories to ever come out of New Zealand, Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy, was written by a kiwi woman named Lynley Dodd. The book was originally published in 1983. It is now sold in dozens of countries around the world. It features a small dog named Hairy.

On your blog, use the following sentence starter from the original book to finish the story.

“Out of the gate and off for a walk went Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy…”

To earn full points, your story should have, at least, 8-10 sentences.
Out of the gate and off for a walk went Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy…” to MC Donald's for a feed when he came pass a very strange dog, The dog was running and hiding behind the bushes."What are you doing hiding behind those bushes" I asked, He just looked at me scared and ran away, I thought "Well that was weird" until I heard a noise behind me.

I turned around and 2 massive dogs were there. One was a Bulldog, Second was a German Shepard. They were walking pass and saw me, The bulldogs name was daived and the German Shepard's name was Joey. They were dogs owned by the police force.

When they saw me I started running, then another bunch of dogs were there. I was scared of which way to go so I just ran forward into the bushes. He ran then he heard barking, he still kept running.

When he was far away from them he went to MC Donald's then all of a sudden he saw ....

( I don't think I can go mush longer)



3 comments:

  1. Hi again Akesa, thank you for writing a letter to your principal, asking him to change something within the school. You'd like him to make it so hats weren't a necessary part of school uniform, that way people without money would be able to play. I am not sure he would change his mind because children need to be safe in the sun.

    Perhaps you could propose another solution. What about if you collected donations for hats from other families with more money? People could bring in any spare hats they had or they could make hats in technology class.

    What do you think?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora again Akesa,

    You should be so proud of yourself for completing so many activities! Well done :)
    I'm going to comment on both Activity 1: Ready to Roll, and Activity 2: Bell Bottom Pants.
    Thanks for ranking the three video clips from the popular 1970s programme, Ready to Roll. I like your mention of rhythm; it has to be my favourite part to any sort of music, and when it's lacking in rhythm I find it hard to move along to!

    What's your favourite type of music? I'm listening to a New Zealand group called SoccerPractice at the moment— they incorporate a lot of Te Reo in to their music, which I admire a lot.

    Activity 2: Bell Bottom Pants.
    I like how you approve of their hair and their shirts. How great are the men’s collars? Fashion is such a funny thing, isn't it? You've probably not been on this planet long enough yet to notice how fashion can repeat. I was born in the 90s, and I see today that 90s fashion is making a come back, particularly in places like Melbourne or Wellington. Everyone is wearing double denim, or sporty caps, running sneakers with jeans etc. It's hilarious.

    What clothing do you like to wear? I love hats!

    Keep up the great work,

    Cheers,

    Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey again Akesa,

    Thanks for showing us your writing skills, I like how you've made the Hairy Maclary story in to a modern day adventure. I wish you had have continued, I want to know how Hairy Maclary is doing— did he manage to run away from Davied and Joey?

    I never really got in to Hairy Maclary myself, but they are iconic books for us as Kiwi's!
    Do you like to read any other sort of material?

    Cheers,

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete