Pages

Tuesday 19 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey

Day  3-
Activity 2


Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry
All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.


My peppha
Ko MT Wellington te maunga The mountain that I affiliate to is…

Ko Tamaki river estuary te awa The river that I affiliate to is….

Ko te ? Waka The waka that I affiliate to is…

  Ko Ko Laufa tōku iwi. My founding ancestor is..

Ko Patai tōku hapū.  My tribe is…

Ko Sosefo tōku hapū. My sub tribe is...
  Ko ? tōku marae. My marae is...

Ko Auckland, New Zealand ahau. I am from…

Ko ofa rāua,Ko Valentine oku mātua. My parents are … and …

Ko Akesa toku ingoa My name is …



Bonus Activity | Fun Family Facts


Everyone’s family is unique. What makes your family special? Choose three people close to you and ask them what their two favourite things to do in summer are.

On your blog, write two fun facts about each person. For example, my Nana plays the bagpipes!

Family Members | Summer Fun


Mum
I love to got to tonga and relax in the sun and enjoy ice-Cream 
I love to have some time with the kids and have fun 





Dad

I love to teach my kids how to make tongan food in a UMU (underground oven)
Go have ice-cream in the city




Brother

Have a water fight outside
Go to the movies

1 comment:

  1. Hi Akesa,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team! It's great to see that you've been working on these activities. Well done!

    You've done some important work on your pepeha. I think it's great to know our pepehas so that we are able to acknowledge our ancestry and also understand ourselves a little bit more.
    A marae can be loosely translated into a meeting place. Do you have a place where you meet with your family that you can use as a marae?

    It sounds like your family will have a great summer! My family's favourite things to do are going to the beach, having BBQ's, and reading lots of books. We love to relax!

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over the summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete