Pages

Saturday 30 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey

Week Three: The Post War(s) Era (1951-1999)

Cool Kiwi Fact #4: New Zealand is one of the few countries with two national anthems: “God Defend New Zealand,” which was adopted in 1977 serves as the co-national anthem alongside “God Save the Queen,” which is normally played only when a member of the royal family is present.


Day 1: White Picket Fences (The 1950s)

In the 1950s, things settled down in New Zealand. There were no international wars or intense, national conflicts. Many kiwis were able to settle down, get married, buy a home and start a family.


Activity 1: Meat and Three Veg
dinner (2).jpg
It was common for women in the 1950s to stay home with their children and raise their family. They were called ‘housewives.’ Many housewives followed a simple rule when they prepared the evening meal: the ‘meat and three veg’ rule. This meant that they prepared dinners that included three different vegetables and a type of meat (eg. beef, lamb, or chicken).

On your blog tell us if you think that the ‘meat and three veg’ rule is a good one. Do you like the rule? Would you enjoy eating a typical 1950s dinner? Why or why not?


I would love to eat meat and three veg because it's nice like the ones from the takeaway shop because their all soaked inside the juices that taste nice and very Delicious




Activity 2: What’s in a Name?
During the 1950s the population of New Zealand grew by 400,000 people. That is huge! In fact, so many people were having babies that many people refer to this period in our history as the ‘baby boom.’ Popular baby names in 1950s New Zealand were:

GIRLS BOYS
Christine John
Susan David
Margaret Peter
Judith Michael
Jennifer Robert

Read through the lists. Are these popular names in your school? On your blog, tell us which names are currently popular in your school. Please provide, at least, three girls’ names and three boys’ names that are popular.

When I was going to school, the name ‘Jennifer’ was the most popular girl’s name and the name ‘Matthew’ was the most popular boy’s name.

In our school we don't have popular names 


1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Akesa,

    My name is Emiely and I work alongside Billy at the Summer Learning Journey!

    Activity 1: I like the way you have used a font that is big and easy to read. This looks really good on your blog! Yes, I would have to agree with you about the juices being soaked up! We have a roast shop close to my house that I like to get dinner from. I usually get roast pork with roasted pumpkin, kumara and potato topped with lots and lots of gravy. It is delicious!! What would your favourite meat and three veg meal include?

    Activity 2: No popular names? I'm so surprised! Maybe parents are getting very creative with naming their children now. Although my name is spelt Emiely, it's pronounced "Emily" and would you believe that when I was year 7, there were THREE Emily's in my class (including me)? It got pretty confusing!!

    Akesa, I really like your name! It is so unique and I don't think I have ever come across someone called Akesa before. Where was your name originated from and what country are your parents from?

    It's awesome to see how actively you have been blogging this summer. I know the Summer Learning Journey team have enjoyed reading and commenting on your blogs. We can't wait to see what else you will blog!

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete